Wednesday, November 14, 2012

baby Mack's birthday

We have had lot of questions of how everything went down with the birth. I have been busy, tired and emotional but I will try to be better about blogging.
The truth is everything really started when I was about 17 weeks pregnant  I started to have bleeding. It was large amounts only at night. It was frightening but my doctor didn't seem to think anything was wrong. The baby seemed to be fine and the ultrasound appeared normal. Well the bleeding continued and even got worse. Again my doctor wasn't concerned at all.
On November 8th I went in and got to see the mid-wife. She told me it wasn't normal. She didn't check me or anything but made an appointment to see a high risk doctor, little did I ever think I would have my baby before that we could get an appointment set.
That night I started to have contractions. Being only 28 weeks along i thought there was no way they were real contractions. about 3:30 am Nov 9th I got up drank lots of water and took a warm bath hoping to stop them and I didn't. I woke up Mark at 4:30 and he said we needed to go to the hospital. But I really didn't think they were anything to worry about. Mark had a test at school which was right by the hospital so we decided I would go with him and then we would stop at the hospital to see what was up. We made arrangements for our neighbor to take Boyce to school and my sweet friend Emily already had plans to take Eve all day so we dropped her off there.
By the time we got to Winnie Palmer Hospital I was having hard hard contractions every 3 mins. Mark got me all checked in and went to take his test. After what seemed like an eternity of laboring in the waiting room I got back to see a doctor.
The doctor checked me and did a little ultrasound and said "You are dilated to a 8 and your baby is breach, so we are going to do an emergency c-section."
At this point all these people came running in grabbing my stuff and rolling my bed out. I can only image what I was acting like at the time I am sure it was something close to a maniac. I was yelling "I need to call my husband he is taking a test! I don't have any phone service!!" Just before we got into the elevator he comes running up all the hero in the movie. I was just sobbing and sobbing "It's not time. He is just too little! The baby isn't ready! Someone call my mom!"
They told Mark to change his clothes so he was gone and they brought me in the surgery room. It was so terrifying, so many lights so many people and I didn't have a grasp on what was even happening. They were trying to calm me down. They did a ultrasound I guess and there wasn't a heart beat and then everything went even crazier which was hard to image. They yelled there was no time and they would have to put me under. They were grabbing and pulling at me putting this cold crap all over my belly and I am just yelling what is happening. They put a mask over my face and I am yelling "I can't breathe! I can't breathe!"
And then I wake up Mark by my side and all I can think is where is my baby and how is he. At this point we really had no idea how he was. It was the scariest day of my life. I was so grateful for Mark. This experience has brought us so close together.
Finally they wheel me by the NICU to see my little baby Mack. It was more emotional then I could have ever guessed. He really wasn't doing good and he was hooked up to all sorts of machines. I said good-bye hoping to see him the next day.

It was all a miracle. I don't know if we would have made it had we been at any other hospital. They had the baby out in 7 minutes. Mack is now in the number 1 nicu and has the very top neonatal doctor around. It turns out that my uterus was pulling away all this time and then abbrupted. Our life has been full of miracles. and we see miracles everyday.


Holly said...

Oh my goodness--I can't even imagine what you must be feeling & going through!! So glad that it sounds like Mack is doing well. You are all in our prayers--hang in there!!!

Jackie said...

I can't even imagine this happening. you're my hero and I'll keep mack in my prayers!

Aimee said...

Sarah,I can't imagine what this must all be like for you. Thank you for updating your blog, and keeping those of us so far away informed. I love you and will be praying for your sweet little Mack.

Dallas - Jaycie - Ashton - Jaxon said...

What a whirlwind of a week for you guys, we will be keeping you and your little family in our prayers- Chin Up!

The Potters said...

Holy moly you poor thing. That's probably the most traumatic birth story I've ever heard. I'm so glad you're getting good care. I pray for your little family, and especially that baby mack. I love his name:) so how is he doing now? What is he struggling with?

It Started With a Wink said...

What a MIRACLE!!! did you have c sections with your other kiddos?

Adrienne & Scott said...

I am so sorry to hear how it all went down. So scary! Glad Mark was there with you!! What a miracle Mack is! It made me tear up reading this (probably because I'm pregnant and emotional as it is!) because it brought back so many emotions I had when I delivered early w/o my husband. You just have to trust in the Lord and know that everything will be okay!! Enjoy your little one! Wish I were closer to help with your other kids!!

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to write!!! I've just been dying to know how everything went down and it sounds HORRIBLE. I'm so sorry you had a c-section but so grateful you all are alive. Our prayers are with you...